Severe Weather Event

In the event of severe weather, detailed below is some information of local authorities and organisations which might assist you.

Who to contact about flooding in your area
Flooding from surface water (rainfall)- Essex Flood and Water Management Team

If your property has been damaged by surface water flooding Essex Flood and Water Management Team will be able to investigate the cause of the flooding where possible and recommend solutions.

As the Lead Local Flood Authority, Essex County Council has a role in overseeing the management of local flood risks, including:

• Groundwater flooding
• Surface water (rainfall) runoff
• Ordinary watercourse (streams and ditches)

Their responsibilities include:

• Managing flood risk from surface water runoff or groundwater
• Agreeing to any changes to ordinary watercourses
• Recoding, investigating and publishing reports on significant surface water floods in the county
• Recording flood assets and identifying those responsible for maintaining them.
• Ensuring features which have a significant impact on flood risk cannot be removed or replaced without consent
• Ensuring good drainage in new developments (SuDS)
• Reducing the risk of flooding wherever possible

Tel: 08547 430430


Flooding from highways drains or gullies
Essex County Council Highways
Tel: 0845 603 7631

Flooding from water pipes
Anglian Water
Tel: 08457 145145 (24 hour helpline)

Internal flooding
External flooding
Thames Water
Tel: 0800 714614

What Is Internal flooding?
Where wastewater has entered your property through doorways, airbricks, cable ducts or other means.

What Is External flooding?
Where wastewater has flooded your garden but not entered your property.

For information on how you can reduce waste water flooding click here
For information on sewer ownership click here
For more information on dealing with wastewater flooding click here

Flooding from rivers and the sea

The Environment Agency is responsible for dealing with coastal flooding and flooding from main rivers.

Incident hotline Tel: 0800 807060
Recorded flood warning information for your area and advice: 0845 988 1188

To check if you are at risk of flood or for more information on current flood warnings click here

How can I make an insurance claim for the damage to my property?

Please talk to your insurance company about any loss or damage you have experienced.

Alternatively you may wish to speak to Essex County Council who are the Lead Local Flood Authority with responsibility for surface water.

Power Cuts

UK Power Networks work closely with the Met Office receiving regular updates.

In the event of any power cut with damaged lines, the public are urged to stay well clear from power lines and anyone spotting a damaged power line needs to report it to UK Power Networks.

Reporting a Power Cut


105 is a new three – digit number that people can call to report or get information about power cuts. You can also call 105 with any welfare concerns related to a power cut, or if you are worried about the safety of over or underground electricity cables or substations.

105 is free of charge and will put you through to your electricity network operator. You can use 105 from most landlines and mobile phones.

It will be launched in September 2016 and will be available to people in England, Scotland and Wales.

The website will be live for launch, providing people with more information and signposting them to their network operator.

You can also follow the company on twitter for updates @ukpowernetworks.

Preparing for a power cut

Below is some advice on how you can prepare for a power cut:

• Keep our freephone number handy
• See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut.
• Keep spare batteries for radios and torches – local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
• Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won’t work in the event of a power cut
• Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
• Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
• Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
• Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
• Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
• Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people

Gas Incidents

Occasionally National Grid Gas are called to deal with a major incident involving a problem with one of their assets. The define a major incident as something that affects a significant number of households. When there is a live incident they will publish information around that specification incident in their in your area section of their web page and on Facebook and Twitter.

A gas incident can come in one of two types:

Water ingress – Where water has got into the gas supply, normally via a burst water main causing damage to pipes and possibly appliances. Loss of supply for reasons other than water ingress, which could be due to failure or an accident involving their gas equipment.
For more information on gas incident procedures click here

Contacting National Grid Gas

To report a gas incident please call the National Grid Gas Emergency Service number 0800 111 999 available 24hours a day.

General gas safety advice

• Do not smoke or light matches
• Do not turn electrical switches on or off
• Open doors and windows
• Turn off the meter at the control handle unless the meter is in the cellar
• Call the National Gas Emergency 0800 111 999

Carbon Monoxide (CO) advice

• Just like a car, you must has your gas appliances serviced on a yearly basis by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
• Don’t leave your personal safety in the hands of someone else; speak to your landlord to make sure the boiler is serviced and ask for a copy of the safety certificate to prove it.
• Home owners make sure you receive the safety certificate.

Signs of a faulty boiler include:

• Soot around the appliance
• A yellow/orange weak flame (instead of blue)
• A pilot light which blows out easily

Symptoms of CO poisoning include:

• Nausea
• Light –headedness
• Headaches
• Shortness of breath
• Dizziness
• Sleepiness

Bogus callers

• Put the chain on your door
• Ask to see an engineer’s ID card
• There is number at the back of the card if you need to check who they are
• Ask a neighbour to help if you are not sure
• Do not let them in if you are not happy with their answers
• You should always know if a National Grid engineer is coming to your home, you will have called us out or we will have notified you in advance


In the event of a fire call 999.

Most fires are preventable. Fires need three things to start – a source of ignition (heat), a source of fuel (something that burns) and oxygen:

•sources of ignition include heaters, lighting, naked flames, electrical equipment, smokers’ materials (cigarettes, matches etc), and anything else that can get very hot or cause sparks
•sources of fuel include wood, paper, plastic, rubber or foam, loose packaging materials, waste rubbish and furniture
•sources of oxygen include the air around us.

Last year over 200 people died in fires in the home. You are at least 4 times more likely to die in a fire in the home if there is no working smoke alarm.

When you test your smoke alarms you could help test the smoke alarm of an older family member, neighbour or friend too.

It takes no time at all and gives your family and others a much better chance of surviving a fire.

Smoke alarms save lives.

If your home does not have a smoke alarm, call 0300 303 0088 to arrange a free home fire safety visit.

For more information on fire safey in your home click here

Estuary Incidents

The management of navigational incidents within the tidal Thames is normally undertaken through Port of London Authority (PLA) Port Control Centre, Gravesend or the Thames Barrier Navigation Centre at Woolwich.

The PLA’s Emergency Manual provides the strategic basis for dealing with emergencies within or affecting the PLA’s area of jurisdiction including:

• Aircrash
• Chemical Pollution
• Collision with vessel/shore installation
• Fire/explosion – vessel
• Fire/explosion – ashore
• Grounding
• Hazardous substances washed ashore
• Oil pollution
• Sinking
• Contacting the Port of London Authority in an emergency or an incident that has implications for the tidal Thames

Port Control Centre (PCC) Duty Port Controller (24hrs) – 01474 562 215

Thames Barrier Navigation centre (TBNC) Duty Officer (24hrs) – 0208 855 0315

The PCC leads on incidents linked to Essex and Kent, TBNC leads for London, but either can take an initial notification.

Routine Emergency Planning and Resilience issues

Please contact PLA
Tel: 01474 562 269

Write to:
London River House
Royal Pier Road
DA12 2BG

For more information on Port Operations and Emergency Situations click here