Canvey Island Town Council is making final preparations for it’s annual Christmas Event with Lights Switch On Saturday 1st December in the town centre on Furtherwick Road/top of the High Street, Canvey Island. The free entry event will officially start at 12 noon with an assortment of Christmas stalls, funfair, children’s games and entertainment. By popular demand, the Town Council has arranged for two reindeer to attend again this year. Staged entertainment will be available from 1pm right through to the Christmas lights switch on at 5pm presenting local talented groups and individuals. Town Mayor Cllr Barry Campagna, said: “This is the Town Council’s eleventh annual Christmas event and everyone is welcome to join in the fun. There will be lots going on to entertain the whole family. We want everyone to get into the festive Christmas spirit and support our local businesses.”
The entertainment programme this year includes local bands, choirs and dance groups. The Canvey Island Library will be providing children’s storytime and a sing a long, as well as arts and crafts activities. Hot chocolate and mince pies kindly donated by Sainsbury’s.
Canvey Island will also be available in the library from 4pm on a first come first served basis. Santa with his sleigh will be greeting families during the day and the Christmas lights switch on will take place outside Canvey Library at 5pm.
- Furtherwick Road from the junction of Foksville Road to Waarden Road will be closed from 7am to 9pm on Saturday, 1st December for public safety to allow businesses that are involved to set up and dismantle equipment and for the duration of the event.
- A diversion route will be in place during the road closure.
- First Group will be diverting its buses during the temporary road closure from 7am to 9pm on the day and routes will be published on their website: www.firstgroup.com and at bus stops.
- Taxis will be available from Lionel Road and from a pick up/drop off point in the Knightswick Shopping Centre.
- Car parking will be available in the town centre at the Knightswick Shopping Centre, Castle View School, Oak Road and the Paddocks Community Centre on the day.